Come study Art And Design In Detroit! Located in the heart of Midtown Detroit, the James Pearson Duffy Department of Art and Art History is educating the next generation of artists, art historians, and designers. Our mission is to prepare students to apply their skills, creatively solve complex problems, and build meaningful and successful careers.
Explore our work
We offer a range of undergraduate and graduate tracks with different credit hour requirements, to meet students’ different goals and needs. Our undergraduate and graduate advisors are committed to working with each individual student to find the path that is right for them.
- Fine Arts
- Art History
After choosing a degree track, students typically focus on one concentration that best aligns with their desired career path. When students choose a concentration, they complete 18 credit hours specifically in that concentration. Our concentrations are broken up into the three areas (Fine Arts, Design, Art History) with distinct faculty for each area.
We offer a wide range of minors across fine arts, art history, and design. We welcome students from across the university to explore their creative side, gain valuable hands-on experience, and work with our accomplished faculty. We also encourage students who are already enrolled in an Art, Design, or Art History degree to pursue one of our minors as an easy way to strengthen their path of study. Our minors are 18 credit hours to complete.
- Art Minor
- Art History Minor
- Animation and Interactivity Minor
- Blacksmithing Minor
- Ceramics Minor
- Design Minor
- Digital Art and Photography Minor
- Fashion Design Minor
- Graphic Design Minor
- Illustration Minor
- Interior Design Minor
- Industrial Design Minor
- Jewelry Minor
- Painting and Drawing Minor
- Printmaking Minor
- Sculpture Minor
- Textile Design Minor
- Art in Medicine's in-person events and art installations strengthen connection between student creativity and medical education
- Lauren Kalman Named Art Department Interim Chair
- Associate Professor Danielle Aubert Discusses her Work as President of AAUP-AFT Local 6075
- Assistant Professor Juan Carlos Rodriguez Rivera Joins Graphic Design Faculty
- Professor Emeritus Judith Moldenhauer Endows Graphic Design Student Travel Scholarship