Dismissal and reinstatement
CFPCA reinstatement policy
The goal of reinstatement is to create a viable pathway to graduation, which requires at least a 2.0 in the major and a 2.0 overall GPA.
Students currently excluded may appeal for reinstatement to the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts (CFPCA) after not attending classes at Wayne State University for one calendar year. Dismissed students may apply for reinstatement the semester before their 12 month dismissal period is up, to allow for a decision to be made by the reinstatement committee. For example, if you were dismissed in Fall 2021, you could apply for reinstatement in Fall 2022 for a possible Winter 2023 return.
Not all students who have been excluded will be reinstated. Each reinstatement case is considered individually by the committee.
The deadlines are:
- February 15: Spring/Summer Semester or Fall Semester
- June 15: Fall Semester
- October 15: Winter Semester
Requirements of the reinstatement application
The requirements for reinstatement and/or dismissal appeal applicants are articulated below.
All requirements are due on or before the deadline prior to the semester of requested reinstatement.
- Reinstatement application
- Academic performance self-assessment
- Transcript request instructions
- Learning timeline: Reflect on all learning that you have experienced from youth to now. Create a timeline to portray important examples of how you learn best, instances when you have experienced challenges learning, positive learning experiences, etc. Somewhere on your Learning Timeline, also include advice to yourself and other students about what your past learning experiences have taught you about learning for your future. Use your creativity to make this project as visually pleasing as you choose!
Reinstatement applications are reviewed by the CFPCA Reinstatement Committee. Any reinstatement to CFPCA is provisional.
The provisional period begins with the first semester after reinstatement. Subsequent provisional semesters are possible if the student meets all performance measures required for each provisional semester.
During the entire provisional period students must:
- Register for no more than nine (9) credits per semester. Courses and credits are determined by the Reinstatement Committee.
- Meet the grade requirements for each course as prescribed by the Reinstatement Committee.
- Meet with CFPCA Academic Success Coach, to establish and follow an Academic Improvement Plan.
Failure to meet any of the reinstatement conditions may result in permanent exclusion.
If I can't apply for Reinstatement now, what can I do in the meantime?
Take the time away from Wayne State University to reflect on past academic effort and consider future steps toward academic progress, such as:
- Taking community college classes
- Setting priorities for yourself
- Seeking support for your future goals
- Tracking your future efforts toward academic success
- Discuss your next steps
All of the above will increase your likelihood to be reinstated as a CFPCA student.