Graduate Student Funding

Scholarships and Fellowships

Graduate School Funds

Graduate Professional Scholarship

The Graduate School sponsors an annual Graduate Professional Scholarship (GPS) competition for tuition awards. The GPS scholarship provides payment for resident tuition assessments only–a minimum of 6 graduate credits and maximum of 10 credits can be covered in each of the fall and winter semesters. Covered courses must count towards degree requirements (undergraduate, audited or dropped courses are not covered by GPS)

Application deadline is March 1 with awards announced by May. Click here for more information.

Thomas C. Rumble University Graduate Fellowship

The Rumble Fellowship is an annual award that includes an academic year stipend, tuition scholarship (Fall and winter semesters) and subsidized health insurance. 

Ph.D. students: The Graduate School allocates Rumble Fellowships to departments that offer the PhD degree and the competition for the Fellowships occurs within those respective departments. 

Fellowship eligibility and recipients are determined by individual departments. Recipients are selected by departments and submitted to the Graduate School in May each year. Click here for more information. 

MFA and MMus students: The Graduate School is supporting a CFPCA college-wide competition to award a Rumble Fellowship for departments that offer the terminal degrees of MFA and MMus. The competition is open to new and currently enrolled full-time MFA and MMus graduate students majoring in the following programs: Art, Theatre, Dance or Music. Read the competition's announcement and guidelines document (PDF) and click here to view the application. 

Application deadline is typically early March, with announcement of award by mid-May. Applications are reviewed and selection made by a college committee composed of department gradute directors and the associate dean. Note: Prior Rumble Fellowship recipients are not eligible for this award.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are appointments made to students enrolled in a master's or doctoral program at Wayne State University. Appointments may be made for one, two or three semesters of the calendar year. Assistantships provide financial support in the form of part-time work for pay within the university setting and typically an academic department, and offer experience in teaching or other academic and scholarship areas. Assistantship positions provide a salary and a tuition scholarship. Graduate assistants have the option of accepting subsidized medical, dental and vision insurance.

Selection and appointment are handled through the department so contact the graduate director in your department for more details. Learn more about graduate assistantships at Wayne State.

Masters Student Retention Scholarship

This scholarship covers up to 4 graduate credits of tuition for a single semester at the in-state WSU Graduate School rate effective that semester. The scholarship is available to degree-seeking masters students who demonstrate financial need and have been continuously enrolled in a Wayne State University master's program. For applications click here

Masters Student Completion Scholarship

The Completion Scholarship covers up to 4 graduate credits of tuition at the in-state WSU Graduate School rate effective that semester.

The aim of this scholarship is to provide tuition assistance to students who are going into the final semester of their graduate studies at WSU so that they complete their degrees in a timely fashion and enter the workforce. For applications click here.

Please note: The recipient of Graduate School funded awards may not hold any other fellowship, graduate assistantship, graduate professional scholarship or internship concurrently; the recipient may not hold salaried or full- time employment either within or outside the University

College-level funds:

Apply for the following scholarships through AcademicWorks:

  • Annetta Miller Endowed Scholarship: Recognizes scholastic achievement; all applicants must write a statement describing scholarly work and other topics for considerations.
  • Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Endowed Scholarship: Provides financial support and hope to meritorious students who demonstrate positive sensitivity to and involvement in LGBT issues. Preference given to LGBT students, although all students are invited to apply.
  • Made In Detroit Scholarship: Recognizes scholastic achievement and provides assistance to students in financing their education in the Department of Music; all applicants must write a statement describing scholarly work, along with evidence of financial need.

Travel Support

Graduate Student Professional Travel Awards

The Graduate School provides funding to departments to support graduate students' professional travel to national and international conferences to present their research. These awards are made by departments, in consultation with the dean's office in their school or college. Awards are made up to a maximum of $500 per student and require a matching amount from the department or college.

For application details, contact your advisor or dean's office within your school or college.

College-level travel awards

For CFPCA Travel Awards, apply directly to the CFPCA Dean's Office and not through AcademicWorks. Please follow the guidelines provided below for each travel award.

  • Anne Harnett Endowed Scholarship in DesignItaly has produced some of the world's most celebrated designers. If you are interested in studying any aspect of design anywhere in Italy, please review the guidelines for this scholarship. Any part-time or full-time undergraduate or graduate student in good academic standing who is majoring in a program in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts may apply.
  • Harriet Kanter Award for Student Development: Provides funding for individuals or groups to participate in professional conferences, off-campus workshops or exhibitions/performance competitions to help them develop more fully as artists/scholars.

Please note: Check with your departments regarding possibilities for additional travel funding support.