Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advising Resources

A letter from the dean:

Dear CFPCA Students,

This year has certainly been unique. COVID-19 has disrupted all of our lives in surprising and challenging ways. These are difficult and stressful times, but with commitment, patience, and creativity we will get through them. Our communities of students, faculty and staff are strong, committed and connected and this will help us move forward. 

We are working hard to find solutions to these challenges so that we may begin the semester Warrior Safe and Warrior Strong. President Wilson has organized several committees to ensure that the camps is prepared for the start of the fall term. You can read more about these efforts here

We are strongly committed to ensuring that quality teaching and learning goes on. To ensure the health and safety of our students, staff, and faculty, we have moved many of our classes and other activities into online and remote spaces. Some of our classes will be hybrid with some remote and some face-to-face meetings. Faculty, staff and students will be required to wear masks when on campus and practice appropriate social distancing. We have reduced the density of our face to face classes and moved many to larger rooms. Our academic advisors will be available to our students through a variety of online and remote means and can assist with scheduling classes and preparing for the fall. ( You can access information about registration here:

Departmental and college offices will be open and available to assist you. The Computing & Information Technology's (C&IT) resource page and the Help Desk (313-577-4357 or can provide assistance with technology questions. If you have other questions about program requirements or your degree progress, please contact your advisor. Please also feel free to contact your professors with specific questions about your classes. Departmental web sites may also provide useful information. Additional resources for students may be found here:

I know that this is a very stressful and uncertain time. We are committed working with you to so that your degree progress is not disrupted. Things will be different but we are creative and committed to your success. We will remain Creative Warrior Strong and we look forward to welcoming you in the fall.


Matt Seeger
Professor and Dean

What services and/or resources are available?

Advisors will offer remote and virtual advising through email, phone and MS Teams.  Your advisors will respond to emails and phone calls from you. It may take a bit of time but they will be with you. 

What services and/or resources are temporarily suspended?

For the time being, face-to-face advising appointments are temporarily suspended.  Drop-in advising services are temporarily suspended. Workshops and advising events are postponed. 

Whom do I contact with questions or issues?

Please contact your advisor directly. Your academic advisor information is on your homepage of Advising Works.   You can contact them through the links below.

General Inquires

Where can I get more information about COVID-19 and its impact on WSU?

How can I get technical assistance?

Who do I contact about Canvas issues?

  • Utilize the Student Training Course within Canvas
  • Contact the C&IT Helpdesk at 313-577-4357 or 

Grades (Academic Year 2020-2021)

To help alleviate concern over the transition to online classes and other possible complications arising from the coronavirus pandemic, Wayne State University is adding a pass/no pass grading option for undergraduate students and a grade/no pass option for graduate students for the Fall 2020 term. 

The College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts will implement the policies as articulated for majors in each of our departments - James Pearson Duffy Department of Art and Art HistoryMaggie Allesee Department of Theatre and DanceDepartment of Communication and the Department of Music.

Regarding the process, faculty will record letter grades for each student. Once those are posted, each student will now have the option to convert the final grade.

Undergraduate studentsFor majors and minors in the Departments of Art and Art History, Music, and Theatre and Dance, and the Public Relations, Journalism, and Communication Studies programs in the Department of Communication, P grades elected during Fall 2020 or Winter 2021 will be accepted for credit for major and minor courses. If a student receives a C- as a final grade in their major or minor course in Fall 2020 or Winter 2021, they can choose to keep that grade rather than convert to a P and it will be accepted as having met the course requirement. 

For the Film major and minor and the Media Arts and Studies (MAS) major and minor in the Department of Communication, the minimum of a C to be considered for passing the course is required for the following courses: COM 1600, COM 3380 and COM 5400. Thus if a student receives a C- as a final grade in any of the aforementioned courses in Fall 2020 or Winter 2021, even should a student chose a P, the course will not be counted toward the degree and must be retaken and achieve a C grade.

Students should consult with their academic advisor on the impact of P/N grading on their academic plan, before making their decision.

Graduate students: The Graduate School has implemented a grading policy change to allow students receiving an unsatisfactory or failing grade this term (B- or lower) to request a grade change to "N", for "No pass resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic." There is no option to change a final grade of B or higher to a P (pass).

Students should consult with their graduate director and graduate advisor  on the impact of the grade/N policy on their academic plan, before making their decision.

Process for filing request to change final grade to P or N

For graduating seniors only: after consultation with your advisor, if you decide to change a course grade to a P or N, use this form for each course for which you want to do a grade change. If you decide to stay with the final grade assigned, you do not need to do anything else. Your decision is due no later than December 23, 2020. Please note once your transcript is certified, the grades cannot be changed.

For continuing students only: after consultation with your advisor, if you decide to change a course grade to a P or N, you will use a form currently being developed by the Registrar. It will be available January 5, 2021. Check the Registrar's page for updates Please note: you can have until the time your transcript is certified post graduation to make or change your decision. Please note: you can have until the time your transcript is certified post graduation to make or change your decision.